Education and Outreach
At the heart of Canopy's work lies the goal of teaching people about the value of trees. It is through classes, workshops, events, talks and Tree Walks that Canopy brings this to life.
Canopy has been working harder than ever to provide hands-on educational opportunities for students and to plant and protect the trees that bring shade, beauty and sustainability to school campuses.
During the planting season, generally fall through spring, Canopy works in partnership with schools to plant trees and teach kids about the importance and value of trees. Planting with students instills pride in their school and a lifelong relationship with the environment.
Learn more about Canopy's Education and Outreach Programs:
- Tree Walk Program: Free, monthly arborist-guided tree walks provide an opportunity for residents to learn about the trees in their neighborhood and "ask the arborist" questions.
- School Programs: Canopy's Healthy Trees, Healthy Kids and Viva La Urban Forest programs plant trees and educate students about their environmental and other benefits.
- Trainings and Workshops: Canopy offers practical, hands-on training led by local professionals.
- Youth Employment: East Palo Alto high school students gain job skills and leadership opportunities with Canopy.
In 2010 Canopy:
- Reached over 3,000 people through its education programs
- Engaged volunteers in caring for for over 2,000 trees
- Delivered 31 workshops to school children in classrooms and after-school programs
- Clocked 967 volunteer hours planting 275 new trees